How To Clean Powder-Coated Aluminum Patio Furniture (Treat to Look New)
Do you have powder-coated aluminum patio furniture that’s starting to look dingy? Maybe it’s covered in dirt, grime, or just years of use. But fear not. Cleaning powder-coated aluminum patio furniture is easier than you think!
This article will show you how to clean your powder-coated aluminum patio furniture. From what products to use to the best cleaning methods, we’ll cover everything you need to know to get your furniture looking spotless.
- Clean small dirt particles with soapy water.
- Remove dust with a damp cloth.
- Use mild detergents for a deeper clean.
- In addition, consider getting a rain cover for your furniture, especially if you keep it outdoors in the off-season. Stain-resistant covers will protect your furniture from changing weather conditions.
So whether you’re prepping for a big outdoor party or want to spruce up your backyard, this guide will have you well on your way to a clean and beautiful patio.
Aluminum Outdoor Furniture: What Is It?
Aluminium makes a good material for many types of garden furniture because of its properties and timeless design.
It is durable and easy to care for due to its robust but light material. Moreover, aluminum is rust-resistant, so the furniture lasts a long time.
For a more comfortable seating experience, aluminum furniture is usually paired with soft cushions.
What Is Powder-Coated Aluminum Furniture?
Powder-coated aluminum furniture refers to outdoor furniture made from aluminum coated with a layer of painted powder. This process involves spraying an electrostatically charged powder onto the surface of the aluminum, after which it is cured with heat.
The result is a durable and long-lasting finish that helps protect the aluminum from weathering, corrosion, and other forms of damage.
Powder-coated aluminum furniture is popular for outdoor use as it is resistant to rust and further environmental damage, making it ideal for use in residential and commercial settings.
Powder coating feels smooth and slightly textured to the touch.
Preparing The Furniture For Cleaning
Preparing the aluminum chairs and tables for cleaning involves removing loose debris or dirt using a soft-bristled brush or a soft dry cloth.
It’s important to avoid using abrasive cleaning tools or harsh chemicals that can damage the powder coating.
Best Practices For Cleaning Powder-Coated Aluminum Furniture
Best practices for cleaning powder-coated aluminum furniture include:
- Use a gentle cleaner or soap.
- Avoid abrasive materials or cleaners.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge to clean the surface gently.
It’s also important to rinse the chairs and tables thoroughly with water and avoid using high-pressure water or steam cleaners.
- Wash your furniture with mild soap and warm water, using a soft rag or brush on tougher spots.
- Rinse thoroughly afterward with clean water.
- Allow the surface to air dry completely.
Solutions And Tools To Use for Stubborn Stains
Soapy water is an easy first step to getting rid of surface dirt and grime. Still, more is needed if your outdoor setting has been exposed to harsh weather conditions or heavy use over time.
For more stubborn stains resistant to the usual method, try a mixture of vinegar and baking soda in equal parts; apply directly onto the stained area before scrubbing lightly with a damp cloth.
A mild detergent solution with lukewarm water will do the trick for more strenuous jobs. You can also apply some ammonia to break down tough stains or greasy areas.
For stubborn spots that won’t come off with soap, use a soft brush or sponge to gently scrub them away without damaging the coating.
Afterward, rinse off all surfaces thoroughly with clean water and let dry completely before using again.
Pressure washing effectively cleans powder-coated metal, as it can easily remove dirt and debris.
However, keeping the pressure setting low is crucial to avoid damaging the coating (be careful, test first).
Furthermore, using clean filtered water for pressure washing is recommended. Unfiltered water from the tap or groundwater can be abrasive to the coating, leading to its degradation.
Note: Powder-coated aluminum is a popular frame material for mesh patio chairs. When using a pressure washer to clean mesh patio furniture, use low pressure to avoid stretching the mesh fabric. Wash the mesh furniture from top to bottom.
Maintaining Your Patio Furniture
Keeping your powder-coated aluminum patio pieces clean is essential to maintaining their condition and preserving their vibrant color.
- Regularly wiping down surfaces with a soft cloth or sponge and warm water can prevent dirt from settling into the coating and causing damage.
- Additionally, wash any spills immediately because residue left behind can lead to staining or discoloration on the surface.
- If you have a stubborn stain, try using soap specifically formulated for outdoor use or mild detergent. Don’t scrub too hard – it may remove some protective powder coat layers.
For added protection against rusting and corrosion, apply a sealant every six months (or more, depending on weather conditions).
Or use silicone or car wax to seal any exposed areas after each wash if you want maximum protection against UV rays and other damaging environmental factors.
This should also help maintain the original bright finish while protecting metal components from oxidation caused by moisture and other elements like salt air near bodies of water.
In addition, consider getting a rain cover for your furniture, especially if you keep it outdoors in the off-season. Stain-resistant covers will protect your furniture from changing weather conditions.
- CLEAN, RESTORE, & SHINE: AL-NEW Aluminum Restoration Solution removes the chalky oxidation on painted and anodized aluminum, as well as fiberglass surfaces impacted by heat and UV exposure
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should I Clean My Powder-Coated Aluminum Patio Chairs and Tables?
Powder-coated aluminum patio setting should be cleaned regularly, ideally every few months or as needed depending on the amount of use and exposure to the elements.
Using a mild soap and water solution and a soft-bristled brush is recommended to gently scrub the surface, followed by a rinse with a hose.
Avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that could scratch or damage the powder coating.
Is It Safe To Use Abrasive Cleaning Materials On Powder-Coated Aluminum?
No, it is not safe to use abrasive cleaning materials on powder-coated aluminum as they can scratch and damage the surface of the coating.
Instead, it is recommended to use a mild soap and water solution or a non-abrasive cleaner designed explicitly for powder-coated surfaces.
How Can I Remove Stubborn Stains From Powder-Coated Aluminum Furniture?
To remove stubborn stains from powder-coated aluminum frames, mix warm water and mild soap and scrub the affected areas with a soft-bristled brush.
- Use a non-abrasive cleaner or a mixture of baking soda and water for more difficult stains.
- Avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, which can damage the powder coating.
- Always test any cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous area before applying it to the entire piece.
Are There Any Special Precautions I Should Take When Cleaning Powder-Coated Aluminum Furniture?
Yes, when cleaning powder-coated aluminum outdoor chairs and tables, you should take some special precautions.
- First, avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that could scratch the surface. Instead, mix mild soap and water and use a soft cloth or sponge.
- You should also avoid using high-pressure water or steam cleaners, which can damage the powder coating.
- Finally, rinse the chairs and tables thoroughly and dry them completely to prevent water spots or rust.
What Is The Best Way To Protect Aluminum Outdoor Furniture From The Elements?
The best way to protect aluminum outdoor furniture from the elements is to regularly clean it with soap and water and apply a protective coating of car wax or a specialized aluminum protectant.
Covering the outdoor settings during extreme weather conditions or when not in use for extended periods is also recommended.
Additionally, avoiding harsh chemicals and abrasive materials when cleaning can help prolong the furniture pieces’ life and appearance.
Examples of Powder-Coated Aluminum Patio Furniture
The Bottom Line
Keeping your powder-coated aluminum patio furniture clean is a manageable task.
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper care and maintenance. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that scratch or damage the powder coating.
So, why not give your outdoor patio setting the TLC it deserves and enjoy spotless outdoor furniture all year round? Your guests and your wallet will thank you!